Re: alternative to the removed split view in nautilus?

Hello everyone,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Omar B. <estelar57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So maybe, as a proposal, It would help to have a shortcut and/or quicklist
> item for nautilus (and probably other apps) to auto open 2 windows and snap
> them side by side, with reduced effort/clicks.

If we come up with some sort of shortcut to replace the original f3/split
it might be a good idea to disable the sidebar in one of the two nautilus
intances. Especially on small screens, where screen space is valuable.
(though on a 24" monitor, I wouldn't care...)
I think you can achieve this by starting nautilus with "start-with-sidebar
false". But I can't test this atm, as I'm at work.

On the other hand, using a shortcut to allign two nautilus windows
side-by-side has some limitations. For example, with this approach you
always end up with two "half" maximized windows. They fill the whole
screen. You would not be able to easily resize both windows as you were
with the old nautilus f3/split functionality. If I look back, resizing a
split nautilus window was something I did rather frequently.