Re: Fwd: What do we do with the file manager?

here is a patched nautilus 3.4 that is already tweaked and could be used:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/install-solusos-patched-nautilus-in-ubuntu-1204.html

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:36:16 +0200
From: seb128@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ubuntu-desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Unity-design] Fwd:  What do we do with the file manager?

        Nautilus 3.4 is the safest bet out there (feature and
          stability wise), however it has that horrid chopped down right
          sided toolbar and the back and forward on the right and
          neither of those two are even remotely good looking.

    It would be easy enough to tweak it, but staying on an old
    unmaintained version of nautilus is not a solution going forward.

        Nautilus 3.6 is pretty, however it is terrible chopped down
          feature wise and doesn't fit Ubuntu and Unity at all
          (super-menu and no menubar, hence no appmenu => no HUD,
          light toolbar (and all other apps have dark ones).

    We could probably hack around and push the popup menu content to the
    HUD if that's the only issue, the problem is that it's not the only
    change so far (the drop of the menu means we have no "desktop menu"
    on empty desktops at the moment, they dropped compact view, treeview
    sidepanel, the lack of menubar looks weird in unity, etc)

        Nemo is the new kid on the block and that's pretty much all
          that's known about it.

    it's basically a fork of nautilus 3.4 no?

        Marlin is the prettiest file manager there is out there,
          however it does lack stability (and maybe a features - MAYBE)
          and needs a lot manpower.

    The elementary guys worked on top of marlin for this own file
    manager as well:

    https://launchpad.net/pantheon-files

    Sebastien Bacher