Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:10:48 -0400
From: shrouded.cloud@xxxxxxxxx
To: motorslav@xxxxxxxxx
CC: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Unity-design] What do we do with the file manager?

Nautilus is just the latest thing the eyes have fallen on. It's really indicative of the bigger picture... Take what I wrote here, for instance: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/ubuntu-design-micro-vs-macro

NONE of the next generation GNOME applications are going to fit in with Ubuntu. We can keep the discussion on Nautilus, but Empathy feels out of place now. So do the games. Are we going to "fix" one because it axed a few features that they didn't feel were being/could be maintained well and leave the rest to stick out like sore thumbs? They have their own design language just like Mozilla or elementary. This is the time to push for first-party default applications. At the very least to replace divergent GNOME applications. But that requires an HIG first, which Ubuntu doesn't have.

My cries have fallen to mute listeners (of the ones that have the opportunity to do something about this). For all we know, they may be doing just what I say, though I doubt it.

Canonical may want to surprise us, but not on this one. We need an open discussion like we used to have of old on this. Continuing on like this isn't an issue is not the way to go. We need to lay out the plan to fix it NOW to stop all the continual "oh, look at this app" EVERY cycle.

And while we're at it, we can tackle the tangential toolkit proliferation issue.