Re: Session Handling -or- Stop Wasting My Time

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Neil Broadley <scaine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This option existed in Gnome 2 in a tab under gnome-session-properties.
> Didier Roche commented on its removal as a feature here :
> http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/478109-gnome-session-saving-dropped-natty.html
>
> I was aware of its existence back then, but never actually used it. Perhaps
> I've been lucky, but restarting the apps I commonly use is very low-cost.

I know. I worked on GNOME 2 in the 1.x days. It was impossible to get
momentum on this because it is a hard problem to solve; most people
working on GNOME never had anything like it, so they didn't know what
they were missing or care; and some were convinced that people really
did want everything to shutdown unable to be restored because somehow
they couldn't do that any other way.

I have downgraded my work habits in the last decade because I lost my
good computer, was stuck on Windows for a few years, and came back to
a rather hobbled version of GNOME. It was a while ago; maybe
mainstream GNOME was already hobbled back then, but I know session
saving never worked correctly. The point is, maybe restarting the apps
I use now is low-cost, but it could be cheaper and I could be doing
more.