How do the brand style guidelines relate to the desktop?

In my previous mail I stated that we don't have a style guide, this is plainly incorrect as we do have http://design.ubuntu.com featuring lots of information on style for communication pieces and web based stuff. Looking through it though I can't see that it is a style I would want to apply to a web application, and if I did, it wouldn't really look like a seamless part of the desktop. On the desktop we have the chameleon coloured launcher, with the buttons with particular shading, we have the top panel with a particular grey colour, we have windows with round corners at the top and square corners at the botom, with a shadow, the top bar is the same dark grey as the top panel. The HUD and dash have white text on the cameleon background and a fat grey border with a shadow (none of our shadows match by the way) None of this appears to be in the design guide, and if I do put together a website that matches the design guides perfectly it still doesn't really look like it natively belongs on the desktop.

I am not quite sure how to deal with this, perhaps we should be trying to use dots on the desktop somewhere (perhaps window status bars should have tight enterprise dots on them or something) and pick out more of the colour palette in the launcher and panel. Having the chameleon colour and window title/panel colour exposed into the browser through webapp integration would be helpful.

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk

Follow ups