Re: Ubuntu startup sound for 14.04 LTS

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013, Sam Hulick wrote:
> I am looking to safeguard against someone taking these sounds and
> selling them to make a profit.  I imagine the same is true for
> Ubuntu, no?

The whole ethos of Ubuntu is to build something that is legal to
share, legal to modify, legal to sell, libre (free as in freedom). In
exchange for these freedoms, most of the licences used in Ubuntu have
two requirements:

  1. To credit: ie. to not misrepresent who made the component
  2. To share-alike: to pass on the same permissions/requirements

This is what Free Software, Wikipedia, and OpenStreetMap are all
about.  In Ubuntu we use the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)
tests to see what is acceptable for inclusion:

  http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

For content, CC-Zero, CC-BY or CC-BY-SA can be used.
CC-*-ND and CC-*-NC cannot be used in Ubuntu, as they discriminate.

	-Paul