[Ayatana-dev] Indicator datetime changes coming

Hello everyone,

I've been around on IRC for a while but this is my first time posting to
the list, so hello list ;)

I'm writing to outline some specifications and changes which
indicator-datetime will be needing during the natty cycle and wanted to
start a bit of a discussion on a couple of the topics.

mpt has specified nicely what he'd like to see here;

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeAndDate#Coming%20events

So the first item for discussion is, "The icon for the item should
represent what kind of event it is, and for calendar events the icon
should be tinted depending on which calendar it comes from."

In dbusmenu there's currently no way of specifying an icon colour but we
do have something similar here;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-session/+bug/634003
https://code.launchpad.net/~bilalakhtar/dbusmenu/fix-634003/+merge/34985

As far as I know the present situation is that symbolic icons won't be
available in Natty, and then there's the issue of should the tint of the
icon be a symbolic tint (from a list of colours), which would contradict
the evolution UI which allows you to set an arbitrary colour.

The second item is regarding the right aligned text in the menu items.

As far as I can tell the only right aligned text that appears in the UI
is the keyboard-shortcut (possibly out of my control) or the number of
messages in the me menu (which doesn't match the desired style).

However, I don't see how this is done in dbus menu looking at the
available properties. I see here;
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dbusmenu-team/dbusmenu/trunk/annotate/head:/libdbusmenu-glib/menuitem.h

I'm wondering if there's something I've missed somewhere which allows
this to be done fairly easily.
--
Regards,
Karl Lattimer