[Ayatana-dev] Compiz Community Module Maintainers

Hi everyone,

At UDS I discussed the idea of having community module maintainers for
the various bits in compiz, so that we can delegate community members
who are interested in the vision of one particular module or plugin
(or many of them, if they choose) to be the "maintainer" for it. They
will be responsible for developing the code to fit their vision, doing
pre-commit code review (another mail coming about that shortly),
maintaining the bug list and being the contact person for questions
about that module.

The reason that I am doing this is because I've found that I've had
limited time to be "the maintainer of everything" and I've found that
certain modules are suffering from bitrot because nobody has time to
work on them. I think that if nobody has time to work on a module or a
plugin or something, it needs to become unsupported and we need to let
distributions know about this. However, I believe that to a certain
extent, we should have a category for modules where we will at least
work to keep them supported with API changes and the like.

So here is the deal.

1) All modules will be marked us "unmaintained" from this point in. If
someone wants to claim maintainership of a module, they'll need to
post a mail here explaining why they want to be the maintainer for
that module and what they think their qualification is for doing so.
Note here that since we need maintainers more than anything else right
now, I would imagine that the "qualification bar" here will be quite
low for modules that are already effectively unmaintained.

2) There will be certain modules (such as core and plugins main) that
I would imagine would have multiple maintainers. In this case, to get
code upstream, it needs to be reviewed by ALL the maintainers within
some timeframe

3) I'll start by saying that I'll claim maintenance of the stuff in
plugins-main and core, subject to whatever that will be (another mail
coming about that one shortly). If anybody else wants to claim for
that, just send me an email to the list.

Furthermore, I'll be starting to reach out to external contributors
who might be interested in maintaining various plugins. I think with a
more diverse development community focused on the little things Compiz
can grow as a project.

Regards,

Sam

--