[Ayatana-dev] Compiling Unity on Natty

Hey,

As of yesterday, Unity's trunk is more geared toward Oneiric releases,
which means that it's become a bit of a pain to compile it on Natty.
However, you can still compile and develop Unity on natty if you follow
these instructions:

# Install needed deps (assuming you already have needed deps for
# nux/unity)
$ sudo apt-get build-dep libunity-misc0 libbamf0

# NOTE: This will want to get rid of bamf and wnck-2.0 -dev packages,
that's
# fine
$ sudo apt-get install libwnck-3-dev libgtk-3-dev libindicator3-dev

# Install latest libunity-misc
$ bzr branch lp:libunity-misc
$ cd libunity-misc
$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$your_usual_local_prefix_for_nux_and_unity
$ make install

# Install latest libbamf
# NOTE: It's fine if it can't install the D-Bus .service file into /usr,
# bamfdaemon hasn't changed, we just need a gtk3 libbamf
$ bzr branch lp:bamf
$ cd bamf
$ ./autogen.sh ---prefix=$your_usual_local_prefix_for_nux_and_unity
-disable-gtk-doc --disable-introspection
$ make install

Now you should be able to grab latest lp:nux and lp:unity and it should
all magically work!

Next week we are hoping to move the panel service to the gtk3-based
indicator stack, and at that point I cannot guarantee the experience of
Unity on Natty (as I'm not sure those packages will be available).
Moving to Oneiric after Alpha 2 might work out easier if your developing
Unity :)

--
Neil Jagdish Patel | Technical Lead
Desktop Experience Team