Re: [Ayatana-dev] Nux Newsletter: A new event system architecture

On 6/21/2011 2:13 PM, Piñeiro wrote:
On 06/21/2011 06:41 PM, Jay Taoko wrote:
*How does this affect Unity?*
The changes required in Unity where not substantial. However, there are some pending issues:

   * There is a regression in the Dash keyboard navigation. You cannot
     use the left, right, down and up keys to navigate from widget to
     widget in the Dash.

Taking into account that the next big thing to solve on accessibility is "a11y support for Dash", I guess that I should wait until this get solved to work on it.

Do you know more or less when this regression would be solved ?

This is the next issue I will be working on. Work has started to get key nav working again in the Dash. I can't give you an exact plan for when this will land (I will be traveling in the next weeks), but it is in progress.

Anyway, I'm doing some other things this week, and next week I will be on holidays, so I guess that I'm not in a hurry here.

   * You have to click on the text entry in the Dash search area before
     you can enter some text.

I guess that this is another regression to solve, right? I mean that this is a breakage of keyboard navigation (see above).
Yes, this is part of the same problem.

   * DnD (drag and drop) is not working.
   * There is a regression in the speed of the Dash scrolling.

I have probably missed a few more regressions; please report them. These pending issues will be resolved as quickly as possible. The keyboard event architecture needs more development and feedback from the team is needed to make it efficient and robust.

As far as I come back from holidays I will test the current accessibility support, as it was heavily based on the events provided from Nux and Unity, so this needs to be checked.
I am looking forward to it. I believe I preserved most of the features so that there shouldn't be too much disruption. Still, an expert opinion is appreciated.

On the positive side, keyboard navigation in the launcher (Alt+F1) and Quicklist is ok.

This is a good new.

If you have pending branches that still rely on the previous event architecture, let me know and we will port them to the new system.

Well, yes, I have a pending branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~apinheiro/unity/a11y-further-places-review

But probably it is not heavily tied to the previous event system.

Anyway it would be better if I do that review by myself.

Thanks for the warning of this change.

BR