Re: [Ayatana-dev] Compiz VSync

On 7/20/2011 11:34 AM, Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
2011/7/20 Jay Taoko<jay.taoko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hello

Last cycle it was noticed that there is a problem when using the fglrx
driver and Compiz Vsync. I did a few experiments today with an AMD GPU and
the fglrx driver. Activating Compiz Vsync option negatively impact Unity's
rendering performance.
Not only on performances: see [1].

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/762918
From what I could gather, Compiz uses the GLX_SGI_video_sync extension to implement its VSync. Normal OpenGL applications typicaly use GLX_EXT_swap_control. I wonder if anything prevents Compiz from using this extension.

I have been running Compiz withits VSync feature disabled. I will try test it with VSync enable and see if I get a problem similar to the bug report.

Jay