Re: [Ayatana-dev] Annoying Unity bug - windows moving when on edge of workspace

On 09/26/2011 02:14 AM, Stephen Rees-Carter wrote:
Hi all,

There is a Unity bug which has been annoying me since Natty, that I'd love to see get some attention and fixed.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/834248

Non-maximized windows which sit on the bottom edge of the lower workspaces shift downwards when called from an upper workspace. This results in the bottom of the window wrapping into the top of the upper workspace, and the focus stays on the same workspace. The window is now unusable, and you need to manually move to the bottom workspace to move the window back up.

This is a big problem because it makes the "snap-to-side" feature completely useless. You have to drag the window to the side to half-screen it, and then drag the bottom border up slightly so it's got a margin between the border and the workspace edge so it doesn't move.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Go to your BOTTOM RIGHT workspace

2. Open a window (i.e. Nautilus, etc)

3. Drag the window right to activate the "snap-to-side" feature and let it resize the window to full half the screen

4. Go to your TOP RIGHT workspace

5. Click on the window you opened in #2 icon in the launcher

6. The window you created in #2 will be moved 'down' so the bottom strip of it will appear in the top right of your current workspace

7. Go to your BOTTOM RIGHT workspace and you will see it's now sitting off the bottom of the workspace.

I previously reported this bug for Natty too: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/755842

It's pretty annoying, and if you use the 'snap-to-side' feature like I do, then you'll quickly find it painfully annoying.

I would love it is someone could take the time to take a look and work out how we can get it fixed.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your passion on this subject :-)

We can't generally handle bug requests on this mailing list (if we did we'd see dozens of mails daily). However if you want to work on this yourself you can use this list to talk to the developers.

I appreciate that it's frustrating when it doesn't seem like anyone is paying attention to your bug report, but I assure you that there are several people reading their bug-mail from Launchpad every day; so it is definitely on the radar. Rest assured. It probably just means that no one had any immediate idea for a solution or any constructive comments to make.

Cheers,
Mikkel