Re: [Ayatana-dev] Desktop Boot Speed

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Enrico Carafa <ironenry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know if Compiz opens all .so files but I think that it do this,
> otherwise the developers don't consider this.

Compiz only dlopens .so files for plugins that are loaded by default.
There's about 24 of them, and it really doesn't take all the much time
to dlopen them. There is a slight startup time speed increase that can
be gotten from statically linking all the plugins into core, however,
that time increase is not going to be all that large.

dlopen () is not really all that slow either. We use RTLD_LAZY which
means that symbol resolution only happens at runtime, so basically if
you pull in some functionality from a plugin that you don't use, no
time is spent resolving those symbols.