[Ayatana-dev] QUnitySettings: managing Unity-2D settings with gconf and gsettings support

Hi all,

this evening I had a quick chat with Andrea Azzarone and we talked
about Unity settings.
We both agreed that while Unity has lot of configurable settings
(actually done with gconf but you're migrating to gsettings), Unity-2D
has not these settings and everything is hard-coded in the sources.

At this point I proposed: why don't we create a class for Unity-2D to
let it save/load settings?

This is what I've in mind: a QUnitySettings class that uses a
"wrapper" that supports both gconf and gsettings, so when the
migration to gsettings is complete you don't have to touch the
Unity-2D code again.
I'd like something you can use in this way:

QUnitySettings usettings = new QUnitySettings();
usettings.iconSize = 40;
qDebug() << usettings.iconSize();

when you set the property, the property call gconf/gsetting and
set/read the value.

Of course after this class is complete we have to modify Unity-2D
source code to let it read/save settings instead of reading these
values from the source code.

What do you think about? I've asked in this mailing list because I
really don't want to duplicate anyone work and if someone is already
working to something similar, please tell me so I cal help or we can
work on it together.

Thanks for reading.

p.s: do you think that Unity-2D should read/write the same settings of
Unity of do you think they should be saved in a different place? I
mean.. if everyone is reading from the same place, setting icon size
to 36 pixel in Unity will result in having 32 pixels icons in Unity-2D
too and viceversa.

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia Qt Ambassador
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi