Re: [Ayatana-dev] QUnitySettings: managing Unity-2D settings with gconf and gsettings support

Hi,

On 17 December 2011 13:36, Florian Boucault
<florian.boucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We already use it in Unity 2D. In fact dconf-qt historically was created for
> Unity 2D in the first place. Look at config.h for convenience functions.

I've given a further look at dconf-qt and I've some question about it.

1) in config.h there are two different settings for Unity and Unity-2D:

static const char* UNITY2D_DCONF_SCHEMA = "com.canonical.Unity2d";
static const char* LAUNCHER2D_DCONF_SCHEMA = "com.canonical.Unity2d.Launcher";
static const char* PANEL2D_DCONF_SCHEMA = "com.canonical.Unity2d.Panel";

static const char* UNITY_DCONF_SCHEMA = "com.canonical.Unity";
static const char* LAUNCHER_DCONF_SCHEMA = "com.canonical.Unity.Launcher";
static const char* PANEL_DCONF_SCHEMA = "com.canonical.Unity.Panel";

didn't we say that we should share the same settings between Unity and Unity-2D?

2) I'm using dconf-editor to browse the current settings in a visual
way and I see that there aren't many settings available yet (neither
for Unity). Is this because of Unity not completly migrated from gconf
to gsettings?

3) "dconf" name really confuses me sometimes :P is it related to gconf
or to gsettings?

4) Suppose I want to read/write a new value for Unity-2D, how/where to
I define a new schema to make it available in dconf-editor/dconf-qt ?

5) I've found a couple of example of how to read settings:

launcher/app/launcher.cpp:
panel.setUseStrut(launcher2dConfiguration().property("useStrut").toBool());
launcher/app/launcherview.cpp:    QVariant value =
launcher2dConfiguration().property("superKeyEnable");
launcher/app/visibilitycontroller.cpp:    AutoHideMode mode =
AutoHideMode(launcher2dConfiguration().property("hideMode").toInt());

but, how do I write and save them? It would not be bad to have the
documentation available here
http://developer.ubuntu.com/resources/platform/api/ with some
examples...

Thanks in advance for your help :)