Re: Looking for ways to make Ubuntu Unity work better with VMware Unity

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 15:04 -0500, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> First, Ubuntu Unity removes application menus and displays them as
> part of the top panel bar. Since we need to not show the top panel bar
> when we enter VMware Unity mode to give an integrated experience,
> Ubuntu Unity users are unable to access application menus when they're
> in VMware Unity mode.

This one is easy because you can set the UBUNTU_APPMENU environment
variable to NULL and that'll disable menu exporting.

> Second, Ubuntu Unity removes the application titlebar when a window is
> maximized and instead integrates it into the top panel bar. Same as
> above, since we need to hide the top panel bar in Ubuntu Unity when
> our users enter VMware Unity, when our users maximize a window when
> they're in VMware Unity mode, they lose their window titlebar and have
> no way to unmaximize their window.
>
> Third, when our users enter VMware Unity mode with an Ubuntu Unity DE
> VM, we need to hide the left side dock/launcher bar.

These are done by Compiz using the Ubuntu Unity plugin.  In theory, you
should be able to disable and renable the Unity plugin.  Here be
dragons, and it's not something we've really tested.  Compiz has some
complex dependency chains that might break -- not sure.  Try it,
reply :-)  It might work on a default installation, but if a user has
customized their Compiz setup it'd be more fragile.  I'm guessing most
of your users don't do that though.

So, in general, it's not a case that we've actively developed for, but
there's no reason that it shouldn't work...

		--Ted