Re: Looking for ways to make Ubuntu Unity work better with VMware Unity

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Ted Gould wrote:

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 15:04 -0500, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
First, Ubuntu Unity removes application menus and displays them as
part of the top panel bar. Since we need to not show the top panel bar
when we enter VMware Unity mode to give an integrated experience,
Ubuntu Unity users are unable to access application menus when they're
in VMware Unity mode.

This one is easy because you can set the UBUNTU_APPMENU environment
variable to NULL and that'll disable menu exporting.

Second, Ubuntu Unity removes the application titlebar when a window is
maximized and instead integrates it into the top panel bar. Same as
above, since we need to hide the top panel bar in Ubuntu Unity when
our users enter VMware Unity, when our users maximize a window when
they're in VMware Unity mode, they lose their window titlebar and have
no way to unmaximize their window.

You can re-decorate the window by setting MwmDecorAll on _MOTIF_WM_HINTS on the window. I'm not particularly sure how well this plays out with how unity works, I am 90% sure that unity will undecorate the window again if the client plays around with the hints.

Third, when our users enter VMware Unity mode with an Ubuntu Unity DE
VM, we need to hide the left side dock/launcher bar.

I'd say it would make sense to force the launcher to hide by changing the relevant setting in compizconfig when "Unity" is entered.

These are all important usecases though. To be honest, I'd say that it would make sense to have an environment variable or gsettings key to hide the "shell" when running in some kind of integrated mode, though thats not really my call to make. Unloading and loading plugins is certainly one way to go, but the unity plugin is quite big, so dlopen takes a second or two to resolve the symbols.

Sam

These are done by Compiz using the Ubuntu Unity plugin.  In theory, you
should be able to disable and renable the Unity plugin.  Here be
dragons, and it's not something we've really tested.  Compiz has some
complex dependency chains that might break -- not sure.  Try it,
reply :-)  It might work on a default installation, but if a user has
customized their Compiz setup it'd be more fragile.  I'm guessing most
of your users don't do that though.

So, in general, it's not a case that we've actively developed for, but
there's no reason that it shouldn't work...

		--Ted