Re: Looking for ways to make Ubuntu Unity work better with VMware Unity

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 11:36 +0100, Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
> That's actually doable. And should be done un unity-panel-service.
> Has already some bits that allows to remove indicators, in fact a
> patch like this one
> does something similar (even if it crashes now, due to something
> strange on the loaded indicators unreffing)...
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/835024/

I don't think that's actually where it makes sense to put the entry.
One of the reasons is that it won't work in the future :-)  In the
future applications will start checking g-s-d to see if the menus should
be shown or not instead of the appmenu indicator.  This is the same way
that GNOME applications are determining whether their application menu
is shown.

I think it would make more sense to use the menu display key that we've
got for doing Locally Integrate Menus and have a "in application" mode.
The other reason I think that this makes sense, is that we want the
menus exporting over DBus as much as we possibly can for the HUD.  For
some reason some people seem to like menu bars in their windows (this
confuses me greatly, but whatever) and we'd prefer that they disable
hiding the menu bar rather then removing the module that does the
export.

Note: The tricky part about using GSettings in this context is making
sure that the schema exists.  It's kinda expensive on startup, but I
guess that's what we get to have no error handling :-/  It's critically
important that we don't crash apps though.

		--Ted