Some context on bug #879237 [Unity vs Citrix receiver]

Hello unity-dev,

Trying Unity on 12.04rc2 I ran into the same bug that is filed under
#879237, and as it's importance is "undecided" I would like to put this
into more context.

For those not familiar with it, Citrix receiver is an rdesktop-like app,
making it possible to remotely access Windows workstation desktops. Typical
use cases are accessing VMs (which obviously do not have physical screens)
or office computers from home. Due to its commercial nature it is primarily
used by companies, especially big ones. The companies you want to use
Ubuntu when you talk about "Enterprise". Now unfortunately this bug
completely prevents these users (like me) using Unity. Due to this bug I
cannot use Unity as I am simply not able to do my job. And, if I am forced
to use Gnome3 to be able to do my job, I will not be using Unity _at all_
(as I do not want to maintain two separate environment). Others may even
choose completely abandoning Unity after the first failures. Easy to find
the consequence: With this bug Unity (and possibly Ubuntu) will never be
accepted as a client-side solution for these big enterprises. The decision
is yours whether this is inline with Ubuntu's success plans or not.

About the "technical" aspects of the bug: when Citrix receiver goes
fullscreen, it probably assumes that its window starts at the (0,0)
position. But it is not as Unity does not let Citrix receiver to get the
whole screen, so the mouse event coordinates are offset with that
difference. So in the remote desktop you do not really click where the
mouse points to, making it practically unusable.

Thanks,
Istvan (without a better choice a gnome3 user).

Follow ups