Re: Image path versioning by major versions

On 07/03/2012 11:38 AM, Didier Roche wrote:
Hey guys,

Most of assets for unity are in a versionned unity path, like
/usr/share/unity/5/. This mean that for each major version of unity, all
lenses have to be rebuilt to take the right new path
(/usr/share/unity/6/ for instance). Those rebuilds are quite painful for
no gain. Does anyone remember why we did some versionned path? It seems
that my memory is failing on me (was it only for the mutter -> compiz
transition?)

If there is no good reason that anyone can remember of, I propose to put
those assets in /usr/share/unity/data or images ;)

I don't recall any particular reason. I do recall having pains dealing with it ever since the Unity inception though ;-)

The only benefit as I see it is parallel installability, which might make life a little easier for developers that likes to work via PPAs. For the cool guys that use jhbuild this not an issue of course ;-)

Cheers,
Mikkel