Re: menu bar understanding

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 11:12 +0200, Francesco M. wrote:
> I'm trying to understand how the menu bar works. I would like to
> understand how menus are "taken" from applications and rendered in
> Unity.
>
> In PanelMenuView's constructor there is a reference to a variable
> named "layout_". Where is that variable defined? In the header file
> there is a (unused?) "_menu_layout".
> The first line of the constructor says to render menu items aligned
> from the left to the right. Where is the layout definition?
>
> And could someone tell me where happens the population of this layout
> with menu items?

Hello Francesco,

The way that the panel works is that it is basically the host for a
series of indicators.  The menus are no different in that regard.  So
the code that you're probably looking for is in indicator-appmenu:

  http://launchpad.net/indicator-appmenu

The application loads a module that parses the menus in memory and
creates a representation of them on DBus.  Then indicator-appmenu finds
that representation and displays it in the panel when the application
has focus.

Hope that helps!

        --Ted