Re: Be careful when refactoring

On Mon, 2013-01-07 at 15:50 +0100, Didier Roche wrote:

> I think you misread my first email or I didn't express properly, but I
> didn't put any blame on anyone or pointed that the feedback loop was
> inadequate, I just raised the issue that trunk was known (so it's not
> a question of awareness here) to be broken for quite some time and
> this wasn't addressed in a timely fashion (even a revert is a good
> answer in my opinion if we can't figure out within a day a good fix).

I think that's the issue, you should be saying "We need to fix bug 1234"
not "Trunk was known broken, why aren't you focusing on my problem RIGHT
NOW."  There might be other, higher priority work being done.  Or
perhaps people are in the middle of longer term tasks that they need to
complete.  Asking for the bug to prioritized to the next possible slot
is a reasonable request, saying that development should have stopped is
not.  It is reasonable to not fix bugs immediately, and do other work
first in many cases even if that makes some options for fixing them more
expensive (reverting is harder the longer you wait).

Ted