Re: Be careful when refactoring

On Mon, 2013-01-07 at 07:40 +0100, Didier Roche wrote:

> I second as well on the speed issue, please again, check within your
> team with the responsible of those tools to see what they can do so
> that the merge answer is way faster. I know that Jibel started to have
> a look as well and it seems the machines on which they are merging are
> swapping a lot, he will adjust in the coming days the infra to help
> your team.

Perhaps speed is the wrong term to be using here.  Faster build times
aren't the problem, the problem is feedback loops and communication
patterns.  I'm quite convinced every developer is committed to getting
things landed to a quality trunk, but that's not the only place that
problems can happen.

I think I'm going to have to switch to a quick diagram :-)

  http://ubuntuone.com/1bTq20mlpAvPwwjYLjrv7x

The first part of that I see as the developers responsibility.  There's
a feedback loop that they get directly notified of and get e-mailed as
part of the merge process.  The area outside of the dotted box I think
the feedback loop is through LP bugs.  So if anything "after trunk"
there breaks, a bug should be filled and prioritized appropriately.
But, to be clear, that shouldn't be a "revert from trunk" action, it
should be another merge request to fix the problem.  What ever that
merge request may contain.  Partially this is a matter of language, if
caught further down the line it is "we found a bug" not a "you broke the
build."

Ted