uonedb-qt team mailing list archive

How to: Retrieving all docId in database

Today while trying to find a way of retrieving all the docId values in the database I stumbled upon database.listDocs().

I was wondering if "listDocs" matches the principles outlined in the "Six Characteristics of Good APIs" (http://bit.ly/15JhbaZ)?

It is said that APIs should not use abbreviations and should be intuitive.

I might have assumed something more along the lines of "getDocumentIds" or possibly also an object (e.g. "documents" / "documentIds" -- not sure if these semantics are correct).

Those suggested objects might contain either the document ID values or the documents themselves (although the latter might consume more memory).

Perhaps at the end of this week we should review the current API implementation before people start actively using it.

Kevin

Follow ups