Re: Trouble with vm-8.1.0-gnu23... vanishing

jlr_0@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Following your pieces of advice, I think I found some response to my
> problem.

That is great! Congratulations.

> The version of Emacs23 I'm using comes from the Ubuntu Karmic package that
> encompasses vm-8.0.12.
>
> When I installed vm-8.1.0 I made sure to remove all the previous directories
>
>  "/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/vm"
>  "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm"
>  "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm/pixmaps"
>  "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm/pixmaps/gtk"
>  "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm/pixmaps/mime"
>
> that appeared in the load-path variable. (by the way why would the pixmaps
> directory appear in load-path? :-)

You are right. pixmaps or its subdirectories shouldn't appear on the
load path.  I am also not sure why there are two site-lisp
directories.

> By the way, what kind of procedure would you recommend when trying out a new
> vm version when the version of emacs you are using is packaged with an old
> vm?

Normally, you should put your own installations of emacs packages in
your home directory, say ~/emacs, and add these directories at the
front of the load-path.

However, site-init files can defeat everything.  I don't trust
site-init files.

> I suggest that from now on vm-8.1.0 be bundled with the emacs23
> debian/ubuntu packages.

If Ubuntu is sharing its packaging with Debian, then you need to
VM at present, wants to give it up, but there have been no takers.
So, the Debian support for VM is going to be bad for a while, I
expect.

> Thanks a lot for your help and thanks for your leading of the VM community.

You are welcome.  Please keep the flag flying!

Cheers,
Uday