Trouble with vm-8.1.0-gnu23... vanishing

  USR> That is a good sign.  We now know that the problems are in your .emacs
  USR> and .vm.  Can you find all the settings you have for any character sets,
  USR> and comment them out?  In particular, you might have a setting for
  USR> vm-coding-system-priorities.

  USR> Then try the same tests.

  USR> We are still not out of the woods yet, because we don't know why it is
  USR> picking iso-2022-jp.  I will investigate a bit.

Following your pieces of advice, I think I found some response to my problem.

The version of Emacs23 I'm using comes from the Ubuntu Karmic package that
encompasses vm-8.0.12.

When I installed vm-8.1.0 I made sure to remove all the previous directories

 "/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/vm"
 "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm"
 "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm/pixmaps"
 "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm/pixmaps/gtk"
 "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/vm/pixmaps/mime"

that appeared in the load-path variable. (by the way why would the pixmaps
directory appear in load-path? :-)

BUT I forgot to remove the /etc/emacs23/site-start.d/50vm-init.el site startup
file!!!

Now, I've done a chmod 000 to all these old directories/files and my problem
disappeared.

By the way, what kind of procedure would you recommend when trying out a new vm
version when the version of emacs you are using is packaged with an old vm?

I suggest that from now on vm-8.1.0 be bundled with the emacs23 debian/ubuntu
packages.

Thanks a lot for your help and thanks for your leading of the VM community.

--
Rene