Re: VM Contributions

Hi Tim,

Debian has its own standards for how to propagate changes downstream.
I don't know much about Ubuntu, but I believe it follows the Debian
system as well.

The Debian maintainer for VM, Manoj Srivastava, had lost interest in
VM and has been looking for a replacement for a while.  See the
"Developer information" link here:

  http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/vm

The best thing to do may be for you to become a co-maintainer of the
Debian package, if you are interested, so that we can speed up its
propagation inside Debian.

Given your level of interest in VM, I think it would be appropriate to
add you to the VM developers mailing list, vm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
There is not too much traffic on it, except for an occasional bug
report.  (I am the biggest generator of bug reports at the moment, and
I put mine on Launchpad directly.)

Are you ok to be added?

Cheers, Uday

Tim Cross writes:

> Hi Uday,
>
> was just wondering if there are any plans or if anyone has thought
> about crating a deb package for the last release of VM? It would be
> good to get more recent version of VM into ubuntu and debian. The
> next ubuntu release is in October, so it probably needs to be done
> sooner rather than later. I was thinking that if we bundled up a new
> version, the ubuntu team that takes care of the emacs stuff might be
> more likely to take it on than if we don't. Even if we just created
> a package and put it in a PPA, it would probably get more moving to
> the latest release rather than the old one currently being included
> in the distros.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Cross tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what
> they understand and those who do not understand what they manage.

Follow ups