Re: compilation warnings

Tim Cross writes:

> > Will it work on the supported older versions of emacsen?
>
> I believe it does on emacs 22.1 onwards.

Hmm.  But XEmacs is in version 21.  I have now incorporated the fix in
the trunk in revision 840.  You can take a look at how it is done to
allow for all versions of Emacsen that we support.

> I would agree, but to be honest, the caller in this case is doing a lot more
> wrt multibyte settings and more comprehensively than vm-read-folder, including
> taking into consideration emacs/xemacs differences in this area. Although I've
> not looked closer, but was surprised that the top level 'vm' function was the
> only one calling this funnction. I would have expected a function called
> vm-read-folder would have been called whenever you visited a folder.

Yeah, the top-level vm function is a bit of a kitchen sink.

I will alert Ulrich that you are waiting for feedback.

> > In these kinds of situations, we also need to make sure that all the
> > changed code is exercised by the tests.  That can be quite hard.  I
> > wish we had some tools for checking the coverage of tests.
> >

> Yes, test coverage would be really good. However, from experience, adding or
> incorporating such tools into an existing package with so much legacy code is
> extremely difficult. It could be done, but will take a massive amount of
> time/effort.

You are probably misunderstanding me.  My question is basically
whether your testing has covered (i.e., executed) all the code that
has changed.  Moreover, in the unibyte/multibyte case, we need to test
it with multibyte text.

Are you looking at other warning messages too?

Cheers,
Uday