Re: [Blueprint vm-elpa] Add VM to the Emacs Lisp Package Archive

Tim Cross writes:

> + Looking at the doc patch Uday sent to the list, there seem to be a
> + couple of restrictions for ELPA that may be a problem. Of particular
> + concern are
> +
> +   - Does not appear to support the use of autoconf or make
> +   - Compilation of *.el files cannot depend on order
> +   - Does not appear to be any support for installation of other code i.e. C
> code/support files
> +   - No obvious support for user input in the build/install process

The autoconf stuff was probably included by Rob to satisfy the Linux
distros.  Kyle Jones used to use just make.  The mime-decoding
programs used to be separate downloads from the wonderworks web site.
VM runs fine without them, but a bit slowly.

The compilation of *.el files doesn't depend on the order as long as
the directory is clean.  The macros and defvars can be used either in
compiled or uncompiled form.

The only user input we really need at the moment is the location of
bbdb, which is a pain.  Such a dependency between different packages
at build time shouldn't exist, ideally.  We will have to look at that
a bit, but it doesn't need to block the inclusion of VM in ELPA.

Cheers,
Uday