Re: [Blueprint vm-elpa] Add VM to the Emacs Lisp Package Archive

Uday S Reddy writes:
 > Tim Cross writes:
 >
 > > + Looking at the doc patch Uday sent to the list, there seem to
 > > be a + couple of restrictions for ELPA that may be a problem. Of
 > > particular + concern are + + - Does not appear to support the use
 > > of autoconf or make + - Compilation of *.el files cannot depend
 > > on order + - Does not appear to be any support for installation
 > > of other code i.e. C code/support files + - No obvious support
 > > for user input in the build/install process
 >
 > The autoconf stuff was probably included by Rob to satisfy the
 > Linux distros. Kyle Jones used to use just make. The mime-decoding
 > programs used to be separate downloads from the wonderworks web
 > site. VM runs fine without them, but a bit slowly.
 >
 > The compilation of *.el files doesn't depend on the order as long
 > as the directory is clean. The macros and defvars can be used
 > either in compiled or uncompiled form.
 >
 > The only user input we really need at the moment is the location of
 > bbdb, which is a pain. Such a dependency between different packages
 > at build time shouldn't exist, ideally. We will have to look at
 > that a bit, but it doesn't need to block the inclusion of VM in
 > ELPA.

Agreed. I suspect we may be able to work out bbdb/w3m dependencies. I've seen
other code that does this. To an extent, VM does it with w3.

Tim

--
Tim Cross
tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what
they understand and those who do not understand what they manage.