Re: VM 8.2.0 beta

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Uday S Reddy <u.s.reddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

> I am inching towards the next release of VM.  It has become somewhat
> urgent because many patches weren't made to the 8.1.x branch.  So, it
> is not feasible to release 8.1.2 any more.  The next release has to be
> 8.2.0.
>
> I have cleared out some of the larger bugs targeted to the next
> release and fixing the more immediate ones.  There are only about 5-6
> left, and I should be done in a week.
>
> Are you guys working on anything that should be included in 8.2.0?
>
> Ulrich, I need you to look at the lp:~vm/vm/build-issues branch for
> the modified build routines.
>
> Cheers,
> Uday
>
> Now that my updates to VM's custom stuff have been merged into trunk, it
> would be good to get some feedback. In particular, I'd be interested in any
> comments regarding the way I have grouped the various options. Some options
> have been put into some groups a little arbitrarily - my best guess based on
> what I thought/understood at the time and I suspect we may be able to do
> better. Likewise, group names etc are also open to suggestion.

Fixing some of this stuff is quite time consuming and it is very easy to
forget or lose track. One of the disadvantages witht he custom stuff is that
it is very difficult to get emacs to re-initialise things without a restart
- just re-evaluating the definitions does not always give consistent
results. While I have tried to keep track of things, there are a few bits
that I know still need work which can get overlooked, so suggestions and
recommendations are always welcome.

thanks,

Tim