vmbuilder team mailing list archive

Re: IRC channel and Hudson

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:34:35PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
>>> Can we please add back in the --gateway=x.x.x.x format as a synonym?
>> I couldn't find any evidence that --gateway ever worked or was meant
>> to work? Which version are you upgrading from?
> 0.11 on Jaunty (9.10)

Do you mean Karmic (which is 9.10 and has 0.11) and not Jaunty (which
was 9.04)?  I just booted up a Karmic VM, and the vmbuilder version
there did not accept --gateway.  Same for Jaunty, actually.

I'm not opposed to the alias, but 0.12 is in bugfix-only mode. This
means that stuff that is clearly bugs can be fixed as well as anything
that can be considered a regression from earlier versions of VMBuilder,
so if --gateway never existed, I won't add it to 0.12.

> but since vmbuilder hasn't worked on Lucid (10.04) at all, I don't
> know when it really broke.

Some of the plugins (such as the one providing the --first* options)
have not worked.  Lots of other use cases have worked just fine.

> Now, one thing that ticks me off is that:
>
>     > vmbuilder --help
>     Usage: vmbuilder hypervisor distro [options]
>
>     vmbuilder: error: You need to specify at least the hypervisor type and
>     the distro
>

> Doesn't just short circuit the args processing to give me the help,
> but whines at me to include the hypervisor and disto options before it
> will parse any other options.

This is intentional. Plugins are allowed to provide different options
based on which hypervisor and which distro is being targeted. This may
change, though.

> I'll file a bug/feature request when I get a chance, but it might take
> some time since I'm getting ready for vacation starting saturday.

Too late :)

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vm-builder/+bug/546536

--
Soren Hansen