vmbuilder team mailing list archive

Re: IRC channel and Hudson

>>>>> "Soren" == Soren Hansen <soren@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Soren> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:34:35PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
>>> I couldn't find any evidence that --gateway ever worked or was meant
>>> to work? Which version are you upgrading from?
>> 0.11 on Jaunty (9.10)

Soren> Do you mean Karmic (which is 9.10 and has 0.11) and not Jaunty
Soren> (which was 9.04)?  I just booted up a Karmic VM, and the
Soren> vmbuilder version there did not accept --gateway.  Same for
Soren> Jaunty, actually.

Strange, because it's been working for me until the upgrade to Lucid I
did.  I dunno, maybe I'm on crack or something.  Or maybe it just
ignored unknown options back then?

Soren> I'm not opposed to the alias, but 0.12 is in bugfix-only
Soren> mode. This means that stuff that is clearly bugs can be fixed
Soren> as well as anything that can be considered a regression from
Soren> earlier versions of VMBuilder, so if --gateway never existed, I
Soren> won't add it to 0.12.

Ok, not a problem.  I'm just trying to make it work and I screwed up
and deleted all my templates by accident.  So now I'm in re-build
mode.  Oh well...

>> but since vmbuilder hasn't worked on Lucid (10.04) at all, I don't
>> know when it really broke.

Soren> Some of the plugins (such as the one providing the --first*
Soren> options) have not worked.  Lots of other use cases have worked
Soren> just fine.

Yup, I'll keep testing and let you know how it goes.

>> Now, one thing that ticks me off is that:
>>
>> > vmbuilder --help
>> Usage: vmbuilder hypervisor distro [options]
>>
>> vmbuilder: error: You need to specify at least the hypervisor type and
>> the distro
>>

>> Doesn't just short circuit the args processing to give me the help,
>> but whines at me to include the hypervisor and disto options before it
>> will parse any other options.

Soren> This is intentional. Plugins are allowed to provide different
Soren> options based on which hypervisor and which distro is being
Soren> targeted. This may change, though.

I wish it would!  It's annoying since --version and --help are so
*basic* and customary to use when first trying a tool.   And
especially when you have options which are the same for the core tool,
even if plugins add new options.

>> I'll file a bug/feature request when I get a chance, but it might take
>> some time since I'm getting ready for vacation starting saturday.

Soren> Too late :)

Soren>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vm-builder/+bug/546536

Heh.  Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Thanks for all your hard work, if I haven't said so before.  This
really is a neat script which helps whipping up test/play VMs quickly.

John