vmbuilder team mailing list archive

Re: Building Images with Specific Kernel

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Amol Jadhav wrote:

> > Helpful information would be what vm-builder version are you using.
> >
> 0.12.4.r444
>
> > I *think* from reading above that either
> > a.) either your kernel or your software is looking for modules (possibly
> > in /proc/modules or otherwise looking for kernel features) of the
> > *running* kernel.  Thats not going to work as the running kernel is not
> > the chroot'd kernel.
>
> Will this be always the case if I do:
> mount -o bind /proc $chroot/proc
>
> in my post installation script?

yes.  Even more explicitly in that case, you're taking the host's /proc
and moving it into /proc in the chroot, meaning that /proc/modules is from
the host.

You really should probably change the software installation script to not
fail to install if /proc/modules doesn't have what it wants.