vmbuilder team mailing list archive

Execscript after grub

Hi all,

Why does --execscript run so early?  At the end of distro install, rather than
at the end of Hypervisor.install_os before the chroot is unmounted?

Because it runs so early, I've had trouble:
   Adding an NFS automount to /etc/fstab
   Adding options to GRUB to pass to my custom kernel
   Installing my own kernel package (I'd rather just use dpkg than setup
       a repo, etc.)

I realize I can do some of these things at firstboot, but the kernel and
grub configuration, not so much.

I pulled the source package and modified it to run the execscript much later
by just moving the call to self.callhooks('post_install') in Distro to
self.distro.call_hooks('post_install) at the end of install_os, before
unmount_partitions.
   With that change, I seem to have much more control to achieve what I want
with my execscript.

Perhaps such a change should be made, in general for the project?  Or a post_os_install execscript facility should be added?

It's not really a bug -- more a feature request, but should I file a bug report?
New to launchpad, and the way of things here.

Thanks,
Chris

Follow ups