vmbuilder team mailing list archive

issues and future improvement

Hello all

I have started working with vmbuilder and I have a few questions/issues:
I am running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS precise - 32bit

- the version I am working it is found here: https://bitbucket.org/burcin/vmbuilder
This version contains the latest changes/updates for ubuntu, changes that are not yet submitted here.

- If I run the simple command $ vmbuilder kvm ubuntu it works but when I try to run it with custom arguments I have some problems:

1- If I use a custom "disk.partition" file to describe my partitions with the "--part disk.partition"  argument it does not work:

failed every time ,at a certain point:

2012-11-26 00:50:29,556 INFO    : Creating file systems
2012-11-26 00:50:29,561 INFO    : mke2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
2012-11-26 00:50:32,441 INFO    : mkswap: /dev/mapper/loop4p2: warning: don't erase bootbits sectors
2012-11-26 00:50:32,441 INFO    :        on whole disk. Use -f to force.

,when trying to create my custom disks and sizes as defined

root 5000
/home 10000
swap 1024

it just got stuck and the whole system would not listen to my commands - not even the browsers functioned and I had to restart my pc several times before realizing that that is just the problem: it somehow gets stuck when trying to create custom partitions

2- If I use the "--hostname vm_name" argument it works but I cannot properly run it. The problem and possible solutions are presented here: http://serverfault.com/questions/364895/virsh-vm-console-does-not-show-any-output

3- Furthermore is there any intention of naming the .qcow2 files the same as the --hostname argument in order to easily manage it and create a random tmp##### name only when this argument is not provided ?

4- Also, there are different development efforts which were not merged in the main repository:

Centos support:
https://github.com/simonjj/vmbuilder-centos-support

Debian support:
http://wiki.debian.org/VMBuilder

repository is here:
git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-escience/vmbuilder.git

Fixes for oneiric
https://code.launchpad.net/~guilhem-fr/vmbuilder/oneiric-support/+merge/89858

Are you planning to merge any of these in the near future? Has anybody worked with these versions ?

5- Some developers are also working on a bash version of vmbuilder: https://github.com/hansode/vmbuilder
This has support for redhat based distributions, centos, fedora,rhel, etc.
It should be possible to convert this scripts into Python vmbuilder. code.

Is any of you doing this? or can anybody help me with this?

I know there are a lot of questions they are all important but the ones with the highest priority for me are 1,2,4,5 - can anybody help me with this? Any kind of response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow ups