vmbuilder team mailing list archive

Re: vmbuilder changes I am working on

Quoting Warren Turkal (wt@xxxxxxxxxx):
> Hi vmbuilders,
>
> I am working on some vmbuilder changes. Here's a small list:
>
>    - Bare metal image support - I am already working on this one. I will be
>    generating the image within an lxc container. It will be output as a image
>    file for the root partition. It will not be a whole disk image. As a
>    result, I also will not be installing a bootloader until the image is
>    installed onto some machine. I have an installer that I've written in
>    shell+golang using tinycore linux as a base. This installer will eventually
>    be opened up as well.
>    - Convert optparse to argparse - Would this be interesting to anyone? I
>    think it would be nice to turn the hypervisor and suite names into
>    subcommands and get rid of allow_interspersed_args() and parsing the args
>    more than once.
>
> I just wanted to share with others, so if you have ideas, please let me
> know.

Hi Warren,

note that in general vmbuilder is deprecated in favor of other
solutions (see
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-r-vmbuilder
for the latest discussion we had about this).

Any patches which look simple enough I'll just apply.  For anything
which is more complicated, I'd appreciate some comments in the merge
proposals giving detailed test steps.  (so far your merge proposal
messages have been great so I don't anticipate any problem).

If at some point you want me to cut a new release for raring with
what is in lp:vmbuilder, please shout.

-serge