webapps team mailing list archive

Re: ubuntu-webapps-update-index, adding new regular jobs

Le 05/09/2012 20:53, Robert Carr a écrit :
Hi all! CCing the Desktop crew again for some help ;)

As part of the webapp autodiscovery/installation cycle through dpkg there is a binary in libunity-webapps (ubuntu-webapps-update-index) which needs to be run at some regular interval (it is based off the results of apt-cache so no sense running it more often than an apt update it seems?).

Where is the right place to put this, and is there existing convention/process?

Note the binary runs as user (so some awkwardness with the apt update mechanism)
For binary running as an user, after apt-get update, I don't think we have any mechanism as of date. We have one for running as an user after an installation/removal (something I implemented for OneConf in update-notifier), but not apt-get update.

Maybe you can implement a similar one, but this needs a hook in dpkg and then update-notifier. However, I guess there is no need to say that this is risky and way after FF… :)

Cheers,
Didier