webapps team mailing list archive

Re: [Unity-design] webapps and the sound menu

On 12 December 2012 11:26, Alex Launi <alex.launi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, we on the webapps team are looking for design input with respect
> to the sound menu. We'd like a more elegant solution for dealing with
> multiple players, for instance having 4 or 5 youtube tabs open at a
> time. The current spec (not actually implemented) says to just have
> multiple players appear as new entries in the sound menu. This will work
> but just seems like it could rapidly grow out of control with, as I
> said, 4 or 5 tabs open. This case seems unique to webapps, most desktop
> players are single instance. Does anyone have any suggestions for how
> the sound menu could be modified, or how we should approach this? Thanks!!

My understanding of "proper" webapps is that the implementation we
ended up with in Ubuntu 12.10 was pretty poor and was shipped
incomplete. Webapps should be standalone apps without the extra
browser chrome so that they look and feel rather similar to native
apps. In other words it shouldn't be possible to have several
different tabs open in a single webapp.

I think the sound menu or launcher integration, etc. should only work
with the standalone webapps and not if a user happens to have
amazon.com or YouTube open in their regular Firefox browser.

The sound menu obviously shouldn't break if a user wants to have 15
separate YouTube windows open but it doesn't seem like something that
would happen very often.

Jeremy