Re: [Merge] lp:~qcumber-some/widelands/animations into lp:widelands

I did some more coding, and made the system load the files at the beginning, but letting the Main thread render the animations. This revealed (at least for my system) that the slow part of this task is not reading the files from disk, but the rendering task itself.

Unfortunately, with the current architecture, there is no alternative to rendering the images in the main thread, as OpenGL is not thread-safe and you should not switch the OpenGL context between threads.

I don't know about the Windows experience. But if someone could test the following, this could be confirmed.

* Download one of Tino's patched executables.
* Switch off Antivirus protection.
* Start game, load a savegame with lots of things happening, play a bit, observe 'hanging' when you scroll quickly to parts of the map where new animations need to be loaded.
* Quit the game, load the same savegame.

If you still experience 'hangs' at the same points like before, this would be a good sign that the rendering time is the culprit, not the file loading time itself.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~qcumber-some/widelands/animations/+merge/104138
Your team Widelands Developers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~qcumber-some/widelands/animations into lp:widelands.