Re: [Merge] lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/use_image_cache into lp:widelands

> This is an impressive improvement! Out of curiosity, how large does the texture atlas end up being?

All images fit into 16kx16k, but since most GPUs seem to support 8k we have 2 textures. This could be improved by doing what we started once before, but never finished: compactifying the animations by finding common rectangles. This could be done when the atlas is constructed and would reduce memory foodprint a lot.

[Element Array]
I did experiment with an element array for a bit and it seems to buy some CPU too, but I had trouble keeping this indirection in my head during coding, so I cut it eventually. I agree that it would be better design.

[Buffer magic]
That sounds interesting, but would require some redesign in the current draw approach. I am very weary working on OpenGL related stuff, so I'll call it good enough for now. If you are interested in experimenting further, that would of course be greatly appreciated!
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/use_image_cache/+merge/282106
Your team Widelands Developers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/use_image_cache into lp:widelands.