Re: [Merge] lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/net-uuid into lp:widelands

1) SHA1 is sufficient for our crypto needs for sure. And using a boost function is preferable for now too. We deal with it going away once it happens. Thanks!

2) I was thinking about this a bit and I suggest removing the option and always use the "permanent", i.e. 24h valid UUID. We could reduce the 24 hours to 2h or 5h or so to make sure the UUID shuffles daily and does not become personally identifiable information.

Its only use is to make reconnecting possible with the same nickname, for this we do not need the uuid to stay alive long - it must basically survive the crash and restart of Widelands.

The option is very confusing for users - they need to know what a UUID is and understand how it is used inside of the metaserver. That is an impossible ask. Also, relogin into the same ID is expected behavior for users, so even those that would opt out would still not be happy that they get a new ID assigned on relogin.

So: Get rid of the option and make the behavior default?

3) Yes please! I like uuid() much better and it conveys the semantic better than random_string(). I also like that we use a true uuid in the places where we call our variables uuid. Much better!

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/net-uuid/+merge/332264
Your team Widelands Developers is subscribed to branch lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/net-uuid.