wintermute-devel team mailing list archive

To Avoid The Reinvention of Fire And Introduce Quantum Transportation

   "Look, it burns!" "It's called fire":  Reinventing the Wheel

   After a month of looking into Panlingua; I've noticed one thing.
   *This system will probably take two years to implement*. For every
   language we introduce; we'd have to either tweak or patch the parser
   to support the language, and this isn't really the objective we (I
   hope) have in mind. The time span for Panlingua's perfection is two
   years (that's me predicting with 4 people working on it) but that's
   expected to have a "ultimate" syntactical parser (that's why
   Panlingua in its simplest form does, form link syntactical links).
   This is me hoping that we can support English, French, Spanish,
   Italian, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), and Japanese. This
   should give us enough experience to work on more editions.

     how's Panlingua?

   Currently, on my local branch of Panlingua can do one thing, and
   it's a decent attempt; it can build syntactical links between nouns
   and adjectives. For example, *The big blue dog* generates one link.
   This link connects *This* to *dog* and modifies the relationship
   with *big* and *blue*. This kind of information seems very trivial
   but it's a start. I'm hoping to add another relation base that
   allows the following: *This big blue dog is Bob*. That should create
   the first as described and then another link that connects *Bob* and
   *is* with the modifiers being *dog*. I think this is okay for now,
   but I'll try to modify it so that if we query the modifiers of
   *Bob*, *big* and *blue* are returned.

   You can branch Panlingua for testing by branching
   *lp:~wintermute-devel/wintermute/linguistics-experimental*. The
   primary branch, *lp:~wintermute-devel/wintermute/linguistics* is not
   to be pushed to as of yet.

   AND There Was A Wormhole

   *CRF++* <http://crfpp.sourceforge.net/> and *Freeling*
   <http://garraf.epsevg.upc.es/freeling/> are two projects that seems
   *very* efficient in terms of syntactical parsing. That's what we're
   looking for Wintermute's linguistics. Wintermute relies *heavily* on
   the linguistics being top-notch (as does most artificial
   intelligence projects).

   data, data, data

   Wintermute needs a good database system. Scratch that, it needs a
   perfect database system. Think of it as the perfect MySQL database.
   In terms of data storage, retrieval and generation, a good
   foundation ontological data might need be needed. Suggestions are
   welcome.

   ping 192.168.0.1 -r 256: Wintermute Intra-communications

   I understand that it's a bit early for me to be discussing this, but
   Wintermute will have to be able to transparently communicate with
   the network, whether it be local or remote, in a clean fashion. This
   is something to keep lodged in the back of your mind as you continue
   to develop.

   Interesting Reads

   When Wintermute reaches certain levels, something described on this
   site <http://www.cassimatis.com/polyscheme.html> would be very
   interesting to implement behind the scenes, so to say. But on that
   note, I bid you developers adieu. Please feel free to come to
   *##sii-general* and *##sii-dev*. Also, I recommend that you
   subscribe to this calendar
   <http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ahhf02n48j0jnpgqld3p0rcbrk%40group.calendar.google.com>
   to stay on top of the Synthetic Intellect Institute's events.

 Tasks

   *Now a great deal of the members of the Wintermute development team
   either have not reported within a month or have just completed
   disappeared*. So to remedy this issue, you all are *required* to
   either reply to this message or enter *##sii-dev* within a week of
   this e-mail's sending to maintain your status as a Wintermute
   developer. It's a means of testing who's around and who's not. This
   is required to prevent lurkers, a regulation upheld by the SII and
   is visible on https://www.launchpad.net/~sii
   <https://www.launchpad.net/%7Esii>. I know many have come to me
   about tasks; our current server that's hosting our website does not
   support Trac and I'd prefer if we hosted our software on our own
   server so if anyone knows of a PHP + MySQL task management system;
   please inform. Until then, *remain alert*.

Jacky Alcine
http://www.jackyalcine.co.cc/
http://www.thesii.org/

begin:vcard