wintermute-devel team mailing list archive

[info] Development Positions

Since the majority of this team spans across the globe and I've been
temporarily decommissioned; I see it unfair to the project to have to wait
for each time I find a laptop or PC that has access to the Internet to push
code every two weeks. Thus, the following roles are proposals that could be
turned down, but I'm encouraging so that we can keep this project thriving,
regardless if one person is missing. Note that people can take on as many
tasks WITHOUT burning out, so a rating number is added to the end of each
manager. If you can pick up to 3 roles without that number going over 15
(it can equal 15 :D), then you got it. Just reply back to the thread in
response to this with what you want and when you're willing to start.
Thanks in advance!

A. Patch Manager(s): We don't have any yet, but this person would be the
person that catches patches that no one is available to test and evaluate a
decent report. This also applies to merge requests, although those should
be picked up and checked out by everyone. (0 now, but might be a 3.2 later
on).

B. Translation Manager(s): These individuals may work closely with the
documentation managers, to ensure that we produce multi-lingual content for
developers and users alike. Some of this content may be chopped (like the
blog has Google Translate built-in), but when it comes to translation
requests on Launchpad, these individuals are more or responsible for
translations. (2.5)

C. Documentation Manager(s): Documentation managers check over any piece of
documentation we may have from the Wiki to the Doxygen-generated content in
the code. We need these people to check for ambiguous text or incomplete
sections, and if possible, fill that in. If they can't, then calling on the
individuals who created the text would be necessary. (2.8)

D. Issue Manager(s): Issue managers are the first response people, but don't
have to be. They'd have to have an account on both Launchpad and GitHub,
and assist users in producing more informative content for development.
They've typically called to bugs by the Bug Manager(s). They also should be
the ones who close issues or mark bugs closed as a result of a complete
task or a reached agreement. (3.9)

E. Release Manager(s) : Release managers are like the A team, in the sense
that moments before any release (more like 1 day or two), they double-check
and investigate the code to see what bugs are still being exposed (and note
this in the corresponding branch's NEWS file).  (3.7)

F. Distribution Manager(s): These guys are responsible for creating
tarballs, Debian packages, etc. No real description needed; it's self-
explanatory. PACKAGE that CODE! :) (4.8). They watch over the PPA on
Launchpad and also report to Freshmeat and to the SII mailing list moments
after the content's release about what's included in it and what's expected
to happen in the next release. That information would be coming from the
Release Manager and information about bugs and what not would be from the
Bug Manager. (4.4)

G. Bug Manager(s): This guy does some crucial stuff. Any new bug reported is
reviewed swiftly, labeled and reported to the main development list with
the sub-subject (new-bug). (subject: [bug] Bug #4545 (GitHub): malloc()
used in C++, FTW?) They produce links and copy the bug from Launchpad to
GitHub (as we use GitHub for version control, issue tracking and bug
reporting, and Launchpad only for packaging purposes), and give a brief
opinion about the bug. They optionally can suggest someone to address the
bug, but not assign until they receive the other person's consent. (5.2)

H. FAQ Manager: This person collects information mainly on new questions
from users and developers alike about the project and compiles a
constantly-revised list of FAQs to be displayed on the SII's Wiki. (2.4)

Note that there can only be one Patch Manager, at most 2 Distribution
Managers (with experience), at least 1 Bug Manager, and at least 2 Issue
Managers. Not forcing, but there has to be a balance. Also note that the
term "responsible" or "in charge" both mean "supervise" or "oversee" in
this case. If no one's able to handle the task, these individuals are
expected to handle the task (why would you want the role otherwise?)
Thanks, again guys.
--
Jacky Alcine <http://www.jackyalcine.co.cc>