wintermute-devel team mailing list archive

Re: [info] (part 1 of 3) Wintermute Awareness

On 1 September 2011 03:59, Jacky Alcine <jackyalcine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> from raw data from its environment and use said data to enhance its own
> abilities. Right now, Wintermute isn't able to remotely aware of anything,
> but awareness is what we're aiming for. It should also be noted that
> another library for Wintermute may be needed in order to tie together the
> linguistics, data and network abilities of Wintermute while exposing them
> to our plug-in API. Before I get ahead of myself, let me address the points
> I'm aiming to cover.
>
>        1) What is awareness for Wintermute?
>        2) How can we implement senses for Wintermute?
>        3) How do we implement reactors for Wintermute?
>        4) Example: Forecaster
>
> 1. What is awareness for Wintermute?
>
> Wintermute's term of awareness would involve its abilities to collect
> information from its environment, query it, act upon it and repeat the
> process. Such a process would build a sect of information that would allow
> Wintermute to become "aware" of certain conditions. For this to occur,
> Wintermute would need senses and reactors. Senses are components of
> Wintermute that collect information about its environment. What Wintermute
> does with this information would be determined by its reactors. Reactors
> are scripts (or compiled bits of code) that permit Wintermute to respond to
> a set of data.
>
> 2. How can we implement senses for Wintermute?
> Senses would be the synonym for a data miner. In that case, a sense (or a
> data mine) plays the role of obtaining information from a (perhaps unknown)
> source and deriving as much ontological information from it as possible
> from that source. Now, the information obtained from a said source would be
> an instance of a previously defined sect of meta-data (see part 3). This
> way, it provides a known set of properties about that bit of data (ie: the
> weather, an e-mail, file information).
>
> 3. How do we implement reactors for Wintermute?
> Reactors are simple to implement. Hopefully, we wouldn't have to script all
> of them. If reactors are merely scripts, then we can have Wintermute use
> natural language as such a language. If we wanted to have a notification
> reactor, that merely describes information, we could tell Wintermute,
> "Describe the data to me." Without any specifications, Wintermute might
> dump
> every ounce of information it knows, so we can either hard-core Wintermute
> to be brief, or specify it. Reactors would need a rating scale. It would
> range from 1 to 100, never reaching 0. If a reactor had a rating of 0, its
> action would never be run. Reactions are rated up (let R be the rating
> value) as so: f(R) = R * 1.01, and rated down as so: f(R) = R * 0.99. This
> 1% change ensures that it never reaches 0, unless explicitly set.
>
> 4. Example: Forecaster
> Wintermute collects information about the local weather. It obtains
> specific
> information about location by first checking on-line to get GeoIP

I would like to point out GeoIP is not foolproof; many ISP's (like, for
instance, mine) use Dynamic IP instead of a static one, and change it every
few months. This has the nasty effect of some websites assuming I'm in an
entirely different part of the country (or even another country, rarely)
until I wait about a month for whatever database is updated again. Also,
GeoIP can not really trace you down to a county/city, only to a country at
best.

> It then saves this (if it doesn't exist) or checks against the
> local information and fixes errors or fills out extra information. Now,
> Wintermute queries its data mining system to find out ontological
> information about the weather. Back-ends to the data mining system (ie: a
> plug-in to translate Google Weather info into OWL) and reports back
> information. This is Wintermute using its senses.
>
> Wintermute now checks the information for specific indicators (ie: strong
> winds, heavy rain, extreme heat) and classifies it according to the user's
> concerns.  The highest reactor states that it informs the user. With that
> under way, it attempts to form a sentence in the user's preferred language
> that briefly describes the ontological information obtained. A typical
> sentence (by taking the description of about three properties) would be:
>        - "Google Weather has reported that severe weather is coming to
>                your area."
>
>        - "There is a report of extreme heat and a possible heat wave in
> your
>             your area."
>
>        - "The temperature in your area is expected to drop 15 degrees
>                below freezing."

What would be helpful; especially in the summer heatwaves, would be
Wintermute declaring continued operation is unsafe for it's hardware.
Some weather providers also give pollen and UV index information, which is
useful to those sunbathing/have hayfever.