wintermute-devel team mailing list archive

Re: (no subject)

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Joel Auterson
<joel.auterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Interesting. The APIs will have Python bindings, correct? Once those are
> up I can really get started on work.

I'm working to guarantee Python bindings to the code, yes. Does Python
support D-Bus, if so, then I might not have to do too much, unless native
object types used in the libraries to be used in Python as well (if that's
supported). I've begun implementing the System, Data and Linguistics with
D-Bus interfaces and adapters in an attempt to provide universal language
support.

> I think you mentioned using Qt for the interface, was there a reason why
> this was chosen over GTK?

Qt was chosen over GTK for many reasons:

   - *True Object Orientated Design:* Qt is purely C++, and not a mesh of C
   and C++, like GTK. This, however, is why it's easier to implement Python
   bindings for GTK, it had direct links to C. However, it causes a bit of a
   bloat that can, over time, chug down a below-average computer.
   - *Simplicity:* There's things like plug-in support, audio playing,
   network streams, that GTK doesn't have or doesn't provide at such a
   programming friendly level.
   - *IDE:* Qt has a IDE that supports it to the asm byte! I've tried using
   the lackluster IDE for GNOME (Anjuta) and it's one of the larger reasons
   for me dumping it.
   - *Future Compatibility:* Qt is future-proof, we target at 4.7.4 but
   some developers use 4.4.6 and it still works. GTK is a "either you're in or
   out" kind of system and tends not to follow typical API guidelines.

--
One Vision. One Purpose.
We are the Synthetic Intellect Institute

Jacky Alcine, *Head Developer of Wintermute*
http://jackyalcine.co.cc :: jacky.alcine@xxxxxxxxxx ::
https://launchpad.net/~jackyalcine