Re: problem with wm3

Janek, you very nicely summarized my doubts about wm3.

For the static lib: the relatively small size difference is because majority
of classes use only Vector3 class - so even if linked statically to every
single plugin, the difference is not very big (only actually used symbols
are put into the plugin).

 > 1. someone takes over the maintience of wm3.

Who whould do that if there are other libraries that do the same and more?
Maintaining a redundant library because of a few projects would be quite
frustrating.

 > 2. wm3 is LGPL now, so we can do as it was done before - take a part
 > of it and include into yade (as a separate yade-package). It will be
 > legal solution, but not a clean solution. Vaclav hated it so much,
 > that one of the first things he did, was to remove wm3 from yade tree.

Wm3 being in yade's tree was not per se the reason for me hating it; it was
its incompleteness (only a few classes) and it not being maintained.

 > 3. switch to another library, like http://www.vtk.org/ or
 > http://www.openscenegraph.org/ or maybe something else.

In case we decide to switch (once again...): VTK is an excellent library (a
fried of mine uses it a lot), has very serious both commercial (kitware) and
community backing and is firmly established in commerce, in academia and in
distributions. And is very well documented (wm3 is not). (please note: I am
not propagating VTK agains opescenegraph which I don't know at all.)

 > 4. the author of wm3 will declare that he plans to actively maintain
 > the wm3 library.

I don't think the maintainer of wm3 has any interest in declaring that wm3
will be maintained, given that it was LGPLed on your demand (specifically
for yade). Their business is in the commercialized version. Maybe I am wrong.

 > One of the first bugs to handle in wm3 is to compile it on 64bit
 > platform, because there arises a problem with int64 type, which
 > causes compilation failure.

If wm3 is not 64bit clean, that is irritating (and will be much more in the
future).

In any case, the decision which way to go should be done before Artur
sacrifices his time working on the package (BTW, thanks for your work, Artur)

Vaclav