Re: Please try debian packages

> The simpliest rule is:
> If package provides any library it should provide shlibs file. It could
> be created with command dh_makeshlibs in debian/rules.
> Example: dh_makeshlibs -V 'libt1-5 (>= 5.0.2)'
> If package depends on library it uses shlibs from this library to create
> a proper dependency (to be precise: to fill the variable ${shlibs:Depends}
> in debian/control. It could by done by calling dh_shlibdeps.
>
> Somehow tricky part is when the one source package builds one library
> and one binary (with executable) package, or if package contains both
> librar and executable. Then you should have to call dh_shlibdeps with -l
> option.

I tried with dh_makeshlibs, but the results are weird,
debian/yade-svn1145-dgb/DEBIAN/shlibs has:

libyade base yade-svn1145-dbg
libyade loki yade-svn1145-dbg
libyade multimethods yade-svn1145-dbg
libyade factory yade-svn1145-dbg
libyade serialization yade-svn1145-dbg
libyade-computational geometry yade-svn1145-dbg
libyade opengl yade-svn1145-dbg
libyade-serialization qt yade-svn1145-dbg

Precisely: 1. only very few libs are mentioned (only those that contain
hyphen), 2. the last hyphen in the library name is replaced by space. I
verified soname's of all plugins with objdump, they are embedded correctly.
  Perplexed.

>> Perhaps it doesn't find the libraries since they are in different
>> directories that rpath says (which gives the location after installation).
> BTW, IIRC Debian Policy explicite disables using -rpath for libraries.
> I believe Ubuntu inherited it.

I I read this now,
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#rpath
, which summarizes the point. I think it is OK for yade since plugins are
not supposed to be linked with anything else except other plugin in the very
same package; and perhaps externally compiled modules, and that is handled
by pkg-config. Rpath simplifies plugin loading a lot, which was the reason I
introduced it in the first place.

> And last but not least - on Debian one can verify some aspects of package
> using tools like lintian or linda.

Thanks, is on the TODO list.

Regards, Vaclav