Re: [deprecated list] changes in the qt3 ui

Václav Šmilauer said:     (by the date of Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:13:18 +0200)

> Janek,
>
> I have unfortunately no time to fix those things, so just comments:
>
> 1. setting direction based on gravity direction is IMHO wrong, for 2
> reasons; (a) if I want to see a body falling down, I want to see it in
> the horizontal direction, not from above. (b) the program treis toe be
> smarter than the user; if there is a consensus that z is always up, then
> the problem will be much simpler: just look in the direction of x to the
> yz plane initially.

(a) so you click button ZXY, it's just one click c'mon :)

(b) unfortunately we have no consensus. You have changed the default
view direction and it turned out to be particularly annoying for me,
because lattice is in XY plane. So I was always looking at it from
side. And I have to patiently rotate the camera with mouse until I
could see my sample. That was driving me nuts :)

But I could not just change the default view direction, because then
you would be driven nuts, that you always have to rotate the view to
see your sample (just like I currently had).

Therefore there is no best default view direction.

I concluded that we need an easy way to switch view directions. One
XYZ button for me, another ZXY button for you, and third button to
stay complete with all possibilities.

And since there is no best default view, I decided to have something
like an "overall view" - which in general is a kind of axisymmetric
look. Then the only choice I was left with was direction of gravity.

Can you see my reasoning now? Can you think of any better solution
for that?

> 2. keys for the 3d view do not work when simulation is not running -
> there is some problem with updateGL or something.

did you svn up? It works for me:

1. generate a simulation (it autoloads)
2. click XYZ/... buttons to change view.

this update which you talk about is performed in YadeQtMainWindow.cpp:188
and it only affects the most recently used view :)