Re: periodic cell

Thank you Boon for this summary!

It sounds perfectly in line with what we have in mind.

                            deltaUi = deltaUi + eij xi dt
where eij is the strain rate of the space, and xi is the particle coordinate

This is done in NewtonsIntegrator if proportionalStrain=1.

    * The relative approach of velocity of two particles (used to
      compute force increments) is found by summing their relative
      real velocities and a velocity related to the strain rate of the
periodic space: Vi (rel) = Vi (real) + eij(S)zi(diff)

This velocity is defined if proportionalStrain=2. However, there is still a small problem in this case (see the comment in NewtonIntegrator).
The equations for servo-control to keep stress constant is :
volumetricstrainrate = volumetricstrainrate + G(desiredMeanStress - measuredMeanStress) where G is the 'gain' of the servo control. No expressions are given to G. I don't really understand.

In previous discussions, we said that G could be dt/mass_of_the_cell. Cundall perhaps just used numerical experiments to find a suitable value in his case.

**
e1 (rate)= (2/3)shearStrainRate + volumetricStrainRate/3
e2 (rate) = -(1/3)shearStrainRate + volumetricStrainRate/3
e3 (rate) = -(1/3)shearStrainRate + volumetricStrainRate/3

As I see it, Cundall didn't tackle the case of arbitrary deformations, which is the point of the current discussions, especially those related to vectors and matrices representations.

Best wishes.

Bruno